Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grandma taught me how to sew...

I have precious memories of sitting at my grandma's yellow glitter laminate 70's kitchen table watching her sew as the country music radio station played in the background.  She would be sewing away and I would just soak it all in.  It wasn't long before she was having me sew things of my own.  In fact, my barbie doll was the first to receive one of my sewing creation :).  I am filled with such nostalgia when thinking back on those summers at grandma's.  It wasn't until just the other day that I realized how much of her sewing ritual is reflected in me today.  Country music was playing in the background, Alec was playing with his army men through the scraps of fabric at my feet, and the rhythmic humming of the sewing machine was pulsing through the room.  Though my table is not retro yellow with silver glitter flakes throughout and my country music was playing on the computer rather than the old record player or stereo, much of my sewing ritual is the same.  It is in this way that I was taught how to sew, and in this way that I continue to do so.  I will always hold fast to the memories of my grandma's sewing, to the gentleness of her soft hands, to the love shown through all the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment